Cory is a Partner at McLaughlinQuinn and leads the Tax Planning Practice Group. Working with businesses, business owners, and individuals, Cory develops creative tax planning strategies that eliminate, minimize, and defer federal, state, and local income, estate, and gift taxes. Cory advises closely-held businesses and high-net-worth individuals on tax and legal aspects of business and real estate activities. He also counsels clients in developing estate plans which protect them and their loved ones through the use of sophisticated planning techniques. Cory represents these taxpayers (individuals and businesses) before Federal and state taxing authorities in audits, appeals, litigation, and collection actions. Cory is a frequent expert speaker on federal and state tax topics for tax and accounting organizations throughout New England.
Prior to becoming a lawyer, Cory worked in the financial services industry and studied business management at Boston College. Cory’s professional background gives him unique insight into the economic issues businesses and individuals face every day and flows directly into his ability to provide tax advice.
Outside of the law he pursues many outdoor activities ranging from snowboarding to surfing.
- Tax planning for real estate developers - converting ordinary income into capital gains
- Sophisticated planning for 1031 Exchanges including drop and swaps, reverse exchanges, improvement exchanges, parking arrangements and Delaware Statutory Trusts
- Partnership and corporate tax planning
- Represented Massachusetts real estate investment firm in connection with tax planning for the acquisition and development of large residential subdivision
- Represented international investment bank in divestiture of leveraged partnership assets
- Represented real estate developer in tax credit financing for mixed-use rehabilitation of historic building
- Represented alternative energy developer and investor in tax planning for utility scale solar farm
- Rhode Island
- United States Tax Court
- Recognized by the Roger Williams University School of Law Feinstein Institute for Legal Services for commitment to pro bono service
- Boston University School of Law, LL.M. in Taxation
- Roger Williams University School of Law, J.D.
- Boston College, B.S./Business Management, concentration in Finance
Professional Recognitions and Affiliations:
- Rhode Island Bar Association
- American Bar Association - Section of Taxation
Seminars and Publications:
- SCORE - Annual Federal and State Tax Update
- Boston Tax Institute - Federal Taxation of Real Estate Transactions
- CPE Associates - Federal Taxation of Real Estate Owners, Investors and Developers
- Massachusetts Association of Accountants - Taxpayer Resolution: Offers in Compromise, Installment Agreements, and Other Solutions
- NEGASC - Tax Planning for 1031 Exchanges
- Recent Developments in Massachusetts Domicile Law and Non-Resident Taxation
- How to Minimize Self-Employment Taxes for LLC Members